Self Care Awareness for Healthcare Professionals Sep 1, 2020
There are no words to describe 2020. We are all just doing what we can to survive. It's been a stressful year, especially those of us who work in healthcare. We get so busy taking care of others; we forget to look in the mirror and take care of ourselves. We all know what we're supposed to do… eat right, exercise regularly, get those ever-elusive eight hours of sleep. We might all be dreaming of a two-week tropical vacation to get away from it all; however, we don't all have the time for an elaborate vacation, but self-care doesn't have to take two weeks or even an hour. It can be a simple five minutes... September is Self Care Awareness Month and we're here to walk you through a 30-day challenge in the name of taking care of yourself. Each day in September, we want you to take a small piece of your day and focus on you. Each activity will only ask you to dedicate 15 minutes or less.
Tag us in your photos, use the hashtag #PrimeTimeChallenge and let's all get well together.
1. Hydrate -- Drink an extra glass of water!
2. Give yourself a compliment -- We are often our own worst enemies. Be kind to you.
3. Self massage your legs
4. Step outside -- Get that vitamin D.
5. Wash your face
6. Enjoy your favorite snack.
7. Moisturize -- Your body also needs to be hydrated.
8. Pick up one room -- Maybe you're home and there's that one closet or maybe you're on assignment and your hotel room refrigerator needs a little love. A clean space can lead to a clean mind.
9. Video chat or call a loved one -- call that friend you haven't spoken to in ages and never forget to call your momma!
10. Draw something -- even if you're not good at it, it can release some tension and stress. Simple Flower? Your dog back home? Your next travel destination -- draw it out.
11. Stretch -- roll back those shoulders, rotate those ankles, get out those kinks!
12. Put on your favorite outfit and take that selfie -- We've all been rockin' that quarantined look and we're always down for an excuse to look and feel good.
13. Watch a funny Youtube video -- and while you're at it, send us the SFW ones; we love a good laugh.
14. Clean out your phone -- delete all those screenshots you accidentally take of your home screen, delete the apps you don't use. Free up that space and free your mind! ;)
15. Don't rush through your shower -- okay, maybe don't send us a picture of this one. But enjoy your shower really get in there, do a little extra exfoliating, and just relax and then tell us how much better you feel afterwards.
16. Turn off those screens -- even if it's just for five minutes. Just give your mind and your eyes that break.
17. Pet your cat or dog or pet or a fluffy rug or pillow -- it might seem insane, but that tactile touch can be very calming!
18. Close your eyes for 15 minutes (Maybe set the alarm for this one).
19. Go for a walk -- okay, we admit it. Exercise is good for you.
20. Journal -- write about your day. Good, bad, indifferent, just reflect.
21. Put on an upbeat song and dance -- If you need a recommendation, we're still a sucker for "Happy by Pharrell."
22. Eat a healthy snack!
23. Do one task you've been procrastinating -- Go ahead, make that doctor's appointment for yourself, go through that stack of mail, throw out all the trash in your car!
24. Wear something comfy -- take off those scrubs, throw on your favorite sweatpants and just feel good.
25. Make yourself a playlist that makes you happy -- find 10 songs you can listen to later down the road when you need a pick me up!
26. Just Breathe -- Take 5 or 10 minutes and listen to your breath.
27. Enjoy your favorite beverage at its intended temperature -- We're all guilty of letting that cup of coffee get cold or coming back to the ice melted in that sweet tea we got ourselves...six hours ago.
28. Light a candle or turn your wax melts.
29. Stay Positive -- Think of five things you are grateful for.
30. Your choice -- Self-care is all about you! What makes you feel good? Is it a home-cooked meal? Maybe you need to play the piano. Perhaps you want to read a book or rewatch that clip of your favorite movie for the millionth time.
What's the thing you go to when you want to feel good? We want to know!!